• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

startin to build up, need some advice

cutlery69

Bluelighter
So I'm 16 and quite small. 5'5 and 110lbs. My metabolism is obviously really fast.
Now that school is over I'm planning on spending some time building up. I've been looking at this workout:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_muscle_building_plan.htm

Does that seem too intensive for someone my age? I've had x-rays and my plates have not fused yet, so I still have growing ahead of me.

I'm trying to improve my diet, eating a lot of eggs, chicken, peanut butter that sort of thing.
I've also been looking at protein drinks, particularly this one:
http://www.wheydepot.com/en/weight_gainer/weight_gainer/muscle_mass_2_4lbs_.html

It seems suitable but a possibly a little high in sugar? I was thinking I'd start drinking one of those a day, and maybe another one on the days I work out.

Another thing I've thought of is make a nice big meal before bed, smoke a joint, then easily get all the food down. I know I should cut alcohol consumption down, but is mj a big deal as long as its not slowing me down?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

hey dude. Ive got probably the same body type as you but im 5 10 and pretty thin, but in good shape naturally. Its better that you are thin than fat. About a year ago i put on 15 pounds and was going to the gym about every other day. I did no cardio in the gym, but im not a lazy guy, so im not too worried about that. You have to remember to gain weight whether its muscle or fat you need to eat more calories and than you body consumes. Obviously these should be from good sources like complex carbs (refined sugars are no good) and complete protein sources.

Think of every meal as a balance. you need fat, carbs, and protein. my appetite is pretty crumby so i didnt necessarily follow the 5 small meals a day idea, i focused on when i was hungry eating the most calorie rich foods (which will always be fats) while incorporating everything else needed.

I also used weight gaining shakes, but as i said get the ones with high carbs from sources not from sugar. A lot of the shakes they have out there are full of crap ingredients too, so shop around.

You can read as much as you want and do all the fancy workout plants, but the two most important things you can do is eat eat eat, even if its garbage food for now. and work hard. I see people in the gym doing there tailored workouts and bragging, but the thing they lack is hard work. If you come out of your workout feeling like you just put yourself through some serious shit then you know youve done well.

check out deadlifts, squats, and bench press, those are key!

Theres more than enough info out on google and on bluelight alone too.

That workout/diet plan you posted looked pretty solid. After 3-4 months I'd put a split in there- but for starting out that looks like a decent routine.

I've heard that lifting before your plates have fused can stunt growth. Since you have a whole life time of horizontal growth and only a few years of vertical growth, I would concentrate on flexibility, speed, and some light weight training. The most important thing for weight gain is lots of calories.

The ganja will only interfere (for better or worse I don't know) with mental development.

Go have a check up with your doctor first. Don't use too heavy weights, take it easy don't overdo it. Don't eat heavy meals at night just before you go to bed, don't smoke just before you go to bed directly and eat prior to smoking.

I've heard that lifting before your plates have fused can stunt growth. Since you have a whole life time of horizontal growth and only a few years of vertical growth, I would concentrate on flexibility, speed, and some light weight training. The most important thing for weight gain is lots of calories

I'm yet to see a reliable study that proves this. The reason a lot of weight lifters are short is due to steroid use before the growth plates have closed. That and "short man syndrome" causing people to start lifting because they are short...

I would have guessed that the growth hormone release caused by lifting would make a person taller. And have a larger penis.

As far as the diet goes, if you really do have a high metabolism, then don't be afraid of simple sugars while bulking.

Thanks for replies.
The plates are the main thing I'm worried about. I'll ask my orthopedist next week.

I'm also in quite good shape naturally, in that I'm one of the top runners in my gym class while I eat a lot of junk and don't exercise too much. It seems like food is pretty key so I'll start working on getting my calorie intake up.